- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Research Fellows
Raquel Varela is a researcher at the Instituto de História Contemporânea (IHC) of Universidade Nova de Lisboa (Lisbon New University), where she coordinates the Study Group on Labour and Social Conflicts. She is honorary fellow of the International Institute for Social History, where she co-coordinates the international project ‘In the Same Boat? Shipbuilding and ship repair workers around the World (1950-2010)’. She is president of the International Association Strikes and Social Conflicts. She is vice-coordinator of the Portuguese Network for the Studies of Labour, The Labour Movement and The Social Movements. She has a PhD in Political and Institutional History (ISCTE - Instituto Universitário de Lisboa).
She is the author of Quem Paga o Estado Social em Portugal? (Bertrand, 2012); Revolução ou Transição? História e Memória da Revolução dos Cravos (Bertrand, 2012), História do PCP na Revolução dos Cravos (Bertrand, 2011), O Fim das Ditaduras Ibéricas (1974-1978) (Centro de Estudios Andaluces/ Edições Pluma, Seville and Lisbon 2010). Her articles are published in XX Century Communism, Revista Brasileira de História, Hispania, Revolutionary Russia, Análise Social, Ler História, Esmelét, Historia del Presente. She is a member of the Board of Trustees of the ITH-International Conference of Labour and Social History, Vienna, Austria.
Areas of interest
Global labour history. History of social security and welfare state.
Currently works in global labour history with a project on shipbuilders in Portugal, Spain and Brazil (1960's to 1990's) in IHC and IISH (Amsterdam). Co-coordinates (with Marcel van der Linden) the International project In the Same Boat? Shipbuilding and ship repair workers around the World (1950-2010), IISH. She coordinates the project History of Labour Relations in Lusophone World.
History of the Carnation Revolution (Portugal 1974-1975). History of the Portuguese Communist Party. Studies strikes in Portugal from 1960 onwards and the role of labour organizations (parties, unions, workers commissions, workers control) in Portugal during the Portuguese revolution. In this field she contributes to the study of the End of Southern Europe Dictatorships.
Membership of Professional and Scientific Associations
- 2011 (…) President of the International Association Strikes and Social Conflicts
- 2013 (…) Vice-coordenadora da Rede Portuguesa de Estudos do Trabalho, do Movimento Operário e dos Movimentos Sociais.
- 2011 (…) Honorary Fellow International Institute for Social History (Amsterdam)
- 2011 (…) Membro do Board of Trustees da Conferência Internacional de Historiadores do Movimento Operário (ITH, Áustria)
- 2011 (…) Membro do Grupo de Trabalho Mundos do Trabalho
- 2010 (…) Membro do Grupo de Estudos do Trabalho e dos Conflitos Sociais IHC- FCSH-UNL
- 2009 (…) Membro do Comité Preparatório da Conferência Internacional de Historiadores do Movimento Operário (ITH)
- 2008 (…) Membro do Instituto de História Contemporânea/FCSH_UNL
- 2009 (…) Membro da Asociacíon Historiadores del Presente (Spain)
- 2007 (…) Member of the Study Group on the Russian Revolution (UK)
- 2006-2008 Member of the Mediterranean Studies Association (USA)